How Reliable is DNA Testing in Forensic
Forensic investigators rely to a larger extent on the DNA information collected from a crime scene to enhance their investigations or provide concrete evidence that will close their case, however, the use of DNA information as evidence is marred with series of issues that question the reliability of the process of collecting the highly susceptible DNA where a slight mistake can lead to a wrong prosecution, therefore, admissibility of DNA results as evidence of a crime in a court of law is seriously considered to ensure all procedures were followed correctly and DNA tests were conducted by a reliable DNA test lab. In case you find yourself accused of a crime with DNA as the main evidence, hire an experienced and professional criminal defense attorney who is familiar with DNA cases and processes, such attorney knows all the techniques involved in DNA collection and testing and can question the reliability of the process which can question the reliability of DNA testimony in your criminal case. So the question is, what makes DNA cases so complicated, to answer this question, this article has detailed some reasons DNA cases to be complex so continue reading.
The reliability of DNA results can be influenced by how the DNA was collected from the crime scene or the individual, the truth is even when a prosecutor is acting in good faith there are various points the highly susceptible DNA can get damaged, contaminated, compromised or even destroyed, this may happen during DNA collection, imagine all people who are involved at the crime scene police, witnesses, forensic detectives, and law enforcement support personnel, it can be difficult to tell how careful all these people were during DNA collection to avoid contamination or damage of the delicate DNA evidence.
In most cases DNA in a crime scene is collected from semen, blood stains, dead skin, hair among other things, the question arises whether the collected DNA information was enough to provide reliable evidence that can be used in a court of law, there is also the question whether the DNA evidence has been destroyed by exposure to heat or cold and how can police be certain is from the guilty individual, this is because there is a possibility of the DNA coming from an innocent person at the crime scene unknowingly, all these questions highlight chances for DNA to be compromised or mischaracterized even when the forensic investigators and the whole team is careful with DNA collection at the crime scene.
The other reason why DNA cases are sensitive is that people share up to 99.9 percent DNA leaving 0.1 percent as the only way the forensic team can identify the criminal, therefore, DNA collected from a small sample is highly doubted in the courtroom unless you prove the reliability of lab analysis technique in the courtroom. Those are some reasons why DNA cases are complex.